Manual:Running MediaWiki on Mandriva

Quick Installation on Mandrake 10 Official (note : It works as well for Mandriva 2006.)

Using packages from Mandriva contrib (2006.0 or later) edit

MediaWiki was added to the contrib section of Mandriva in April 2005, or somewhere before the release of 2006.0.

Installing mediawiki should be a matter of adding a contrib medium and running:

> urpmi mediawiki

This will pull in all the requirements for running the frontend. If you will be running the database server on the same host, install MySQL as well:

> urpmi MySQL

You should be able to access the configuration page at http://localhost/mediawiki or similar.

Note that packages in contrib don't get security updates via the official updates medium, you are advised to add a community contrib medium, and be aware that security updates for contrib may be a bit slower than official packages, and you may want to notify the maintainer if a security update is required.

Manual Installation edit

This is a short description and protocol of my installation.

Installed Packages edit

  • apache2-2.0.48-6.2.100
  • apache2-mod_php-2.0.48_4.3.4-1
  • php-mysql-4.3.4-1
  • php-iconv-4.3.4-1
  • php-apc-4.3.4_2.0
  • php-xml-4.3.4-1
  • MySQL 4.0.18-1.1.100
  • ImageMagick
  • zlib should be already installed

Download mediawiki-1.x.x.tar.gz and extract to /var/www/html and rename the base directory :

>mv mediawiki-1.x.x wiki

A Mandriva package « mediawiki » exists; install it with # urpmi mediawiki ; then just do # cd /var/www/html/ and # mv mediawiki wiki

MySQL edit

If you haven't yet configured the mysql database, you should at least set the passwords.

New installation edit

Setting password for default accounts.

>mysql -u root
SET PASSWORD FOR ''@'localhost' = PASSWORD('xxx');
SET PASSWORD FOR ''@'hostname' = PASSWORD('xxx');
SET PASSWORD FOR 'root'@'localhost' = PASSWORD('xxx');
SET PASSWORD FOR 'root'@'hostname' = PASSWORD('xxx');

Replace hostname with your REAL name and xxx with your password.

For information on accounts, type:

SELECT host, user from mysql.user;

Create Database edit

USE mysql;
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON wikidb.* to 'wikiuser'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'your_password' WITH GRANT OPTION;

Replace your_password with your own password. Maybe less privileges can be granted, but I didn't find any documentation concerning this.

For a list of databases


LocalSettings.php will be created in this directory and therefore write rights are necessary.

chmod ugo+w /var/www/html/wiki/config

Browse to http://localhost/wiki/config/index.php and fill in all necessary information. Copy the result.

cp /var/www/html/wiki/config/LocalSettings.php /var/www/html/wiki

Remove all right from config directory.

chmod 000 /var/www/html/wiki/config

Browse to your wiki http://localhost/wiki/index.php. Create your own user. Afterwards grant admin rights to your user with Replace "own_user" with your username created on the wiki site:

UPDATE user set user_rights='sysop' where user_name='own_user'

Enable Upload edit

Add write right to the images directory:

chmod ugo+w /var/www/html/wiki/images

In /var/www/html/wiki/LocalSettings.php uncomment

$wgDisableUploads= false;

I updated recently to version 1.3.1. No problems.


  • make backup of database and files
  • remove all files, except the images directory
  • extract the new version
  • go to web-installer (use the same encoding, otherwise your umlaute are lost)
  • copy LocalSettings.php and change settings like above.

READY! Mikegr 22:25, 20 Aug 2004 (UTC)

Update and fix for "No XML" message edit

I'm using Mandrake 10 community and all the versions listed above match what I have. I followed these instructions but hit a stumbling block when loading the initial config page (http://localhost/wiki/config/index.php) the page loaded but said I had no XML installed. I fired up urpmi and got php-xml but got the same message, even after restarting Apache and going as far as rebooting. I tracked things down and finally had to:

  1. rm the /etc/php dir (which was empty), and
  2. make a symlink to the /etc/php.d dir (which had the extension modules in it)

I then restarted Apache and everything worked fine from there.