Front-end standards group
Project / workboardEdit
Members of the Front-end Standards Group surface front-end development topics from their respective Wikimedia Foundation teams in order to find common solutions. Much of this group's work is in the Phabricator Front-end standards workboard. Every interested Foundation front-end developer is welcome to join the bi-weekly Vue.js and general editions of the meeting.
If you like to raise attention about a specific topic to a forthcoming meeting, please add it to the group's Etherpad or share it in the internal #front-end Slack channel.
For general questions around the group's activities or to join please contact Volker Eckl <email@example.com>.
Note: For name differences see Phab project creation rules. With spaces or underscores, the project cannot be mentioned in Markdown.
- Develop, improve and document libraries and features to standardize on. See the roadmap for more details.
- Use standard libraries throughout Wikimedia software projects, and support other projects in doing the same.
- Share technologies and techniques between all projects
Meetings are held every other Wednesday, alternating between:
- 19:00 - 19:50 UTC
- 16:00 - 16:50 UTC (Vue.js edition, where Vue-related topics are prioritized)
Responsible for planning and implementing the software being standardized on.
- Andrew Russel Green (Fundraising Tech)
- Anne Tomasevich (Design Systems Team)
- Bartosz Dziewoński (Contributors > Editing)
- Ed Sanders (Contributors > Editing)
- Eric Gardner (Design Systems Team)
- Jan Drewniak (Readers)
- Jon Robson (Readers Web)
- Moriel Schottlender (Technology > Collaboration)
- Roan Kattouw (Contributors > Collaboration)
- Santhosh Thottingal (Contributors > Language)
- Timo Tijhof (Performance)
- Volker Eckl (Product Design > Design Systems Team)
Responsible for providing additional oversight during planning and implementation.
- James Forrester (Abstract Wikipedia)
- Joaquin Oltra Hernandez (Technology)
- Brion Vibber (MediaWiki)
- Derk-Jan Hartman (Community)
Brought in as needed to share knowledge of specific features and systems.
- Audiences Design members
- Community skin authors
- WMDE design team members
Previous meetings (Archive)Edit
- In recent 18 months, we've saved time on transferring the notes over from Etherpad. Please refer there for archived notes.
- 2020-07-22 – Vue.js, WVUI, WiKit, WMF-WMDE collaboration
- 2020-06-24 – Vue.js, syntax changes, linting, OOUI migration, WMDE collaboration
- 2020-05-27 – Vue.js edition: Naming the shared lib, where should it live, congruence Wikidata components and Foundation's so far, RL submodules
- 2020-01-15 – Vue.js, need more Timo, Storybook and DIP
- 2018-08-22 – not held
- 2018-01-10 – Replace jsduck with JSDoc (implementation plan); Avoid or minimise impact of "unready" Grade A state; Success: Optimize SVG in data URIs
- 2017-12-13 – Reactivating discussion on jsduck alternative; Introduction of newly established SVG coding conventions
2017-11-22– not held as no urgent topics
- 2017-11-08 – Which tags in MediaWiki should be styled as monospace?; Follow-up: Create an abstraction for the message box components (warningbox, errorbox etc)
2017-10-11– not held as no urgent topics
- 2017-09-27 – VisualEditor: Implement some form of auto-save; Create an abstraction for the message box components (warningbox, errorbox etc); Measure dwell-time impact of `touch-action: manipulation;`
- 2017-09-13 – Optimize SVGs in data URIs
- 2017-08-23 – Page actions should use semantic
a; Define language CSS rules in a common module shared by all skins; Evaluate `touch-action: manipulation;`
2017-08-09– Not held because of Wikimania Montréal
- 2017-07-26 – Conversation about modulating early edition meeting
2017-07-11– Cancelled due to missing topics/low attendance
- 2017-06-28 – Need for modularization of OOUI in context of vue.js/preact; Review of WMDE experience on using vue.js
- 2017-06-14 – jsdoc, possible successors
- 2017-04-26 – jsduck alternatives; how to integrate frameworks with OOUI or how to integrate OOUI into frameworks
- 2017-04-12 – Make it impossible to ship unoptimized SVGs; How to bring WikimediaUI Base to core; jsduck alternative
- 2017-03-08 – Replacement of
OO.mfExtend; Hamburgers on UC Mini; Module RFC
- 2017-02-22 – Wikidata's next UI library?
- 2017-02-08 – Log modules enqueued with invalid module target; Group workboard's inbox cleanup
- 2017-01-25 – Static Site (Generators) and TranslateWiki?
- 2016-10-26 –
- 2016-10-12 – Participate in finding stylelint rules for wikimedia-config-stylelint; OOUI Widgets apply
box-sizing: border-boxas general rule?; Moment.js in core?
- 2016-09-21 – Discourage use of various front-end ResourceLoader JS modules; Service-Worker based prototype
- 2016-09-14 – Is WikimediaUI Base useful/wanted to be brought to core; Service-Worker based prototype
- 2016-08-10 – ResourceLoader: Support loading of messages in parsed formats; Replace jsduck in favor of a better maintained alternative (jsdoc); Start deprecation process to discourage use of various frontend ResourceLoader JS modules.
- 2016-07-27 – stylelint: rule
number-leading-zerofrom blacklist in MobileFrontend
- 2016-07-13 – Dismantle ResourceLoader's "targets" system (JR); Make more obvious to engineers which ResourceLoader modules are deprecated;
2016-06-29– Not held because of Wikimania Esino Lario