The Echo notifications box (flyout & special page, and also the email if enabled) displays the name of the user who left a message on our talkpages.
I think Seb35 is asking for 1 of 2 potential features in MassMessage, namely:
- A field where the user who is sending the massmessage can put their username, which will somehow be added to the Notifications about a new talkpage message.
- (Not currently possible, but would be an Echo bug/feature if anything. I agree it could be useful)
- A way to translate the username, for non-English languages.
- (As Nemo said, this is not possible)
- Background, current setup
If we add a (4tilde) signature to a MassMessage, it comes out as:
[[User:MediaWiki message delivery|MediaWiki message delivery]] ([[User talk:MediaWiki message delivery|talk]]) 19:31, 17 November 2013 (UTC)
Currently, the name of the user sending the massmessage is included, but only as a hidden comment at the very end. Eg:
<!-- Message sent by User:Quiddity@testwiki using the list at http://test.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Quiddity/MMtestlist -->
- A reminder (in the Special:MassMMessage interface) to add our own name in wikitext, if we want it visible at the end of the message.
- I think changing the auto-generated "signature" section, might be a good idea. Match the format that many "Global message delivery" messages currently use. I.E. Include links for:
- User sending
- Account that was used to send ("User:MediaWiki message delivery")
Eg. The Signpost would end with:
About · Unsubscribe · Distributed on behalf of The ed17 by MediaWiki message delivery 21:30, 17 November 2013 (UTC)
This would help standardize (and improve the possibility of translating) the various elements that are currently erratically included, eg the 3 messages visible here and below all use a different layout and wording.