Release status: beta
|Description||Provides an alternative two-column view for the edit conflict resolution page|
|Author(s)||Wikimedia Germany (WMDE)|
|Latest version||continuous updates|
|Compatibility policy||release branches|
|License||GNU General Public License 2.0 or later|
|Translate the TwoColConflict extension if it is available at translatewiki.net|
|Check usage and version matrix.|
|Issues||Open tasks · Report a bug|
The Two Column Edit Conflict View is a new interface for the edit conflict resolution page. It displays colliding text passages in pairs next to each other, making it easier to merge your text with the one that’s currently online.
- Download and place the file(s) in a directory called
Enabling the new view: To enable the new view for edit-conflict resolution, you have to be logged in and tick the checkbox for the Two column edit conflict feature on the beta-features preferences page in your wiki. If you had already activated the first beta feature, you will automatically get the new view.
1. Get oriented.
In order to help you solve the edit conflict, the interface breaks down the differences between the two revisions like this:
- Text passages that differ are displayed in pairs next to each other: The current version of the page is shown in yellow and your version in blue. Inside, text that was changed is highlighted.
- Text passages that are identical in both versions are displayed as a grey bar, spanning the whole width.
A tutorial guides you through the interface the first time you encounter an edit conflict. You can open it again by clicking on the help icon (?).
2. Build a new version by merging your text with the one that’s currently online.
- Select the passages you want to keep by clicking on the radio buttons next to them. By default, all texts from the other person are selected, so if you publish immediately, none of your text changes are saved.
- Edit passages, if needed.
- Click on the black pencil to open the editing mode for a text passage. If the pencil is grey, it means you need to select the text passage first. Otherwise, this version won’t be saved when you click publish.
- You can also edit text passages that are identical in both versions.
- The highlights that indicate the differences between the versions disappear when you edit a text passage.
- You can integrate parts from other text passages by copy and paste, either with the copy and paste function on your keyboard or with a right click.
- Click on the check mark to apply changes to a text box and to close its editing mode.
- If you want to discard your changes and reset the contents of the text box to what it was when the edit conflict occurred, click on the back arrow. This also restores the highlighting.
3. Publish a new page version. When you’re done selecting and editing all of the passages, click “Publish changes”. This composes all of the text passages you selected and the grey boxes into a new page revision. As on all wiki pages, you can preview the changes first via the Preview button. On clicking Cancel, you return to the current version of the page.
- All text passages are shown in editor boxes.
- There are no buttons within the editor boxes.
- Text passages that are identical in both versions are always expanded.
$wgTwoColConflictBetaFeature: (boolean, true by default) Activate this extension as a Beta Feature when Extension:BetaFeatures is activated.
$wgTwoColConflictUseInline: (boolean, false by default) Use the old view with inline conflicting changes in one column and a classic wikitext form in the other column; the default view is a diff similar to MediaWiki built-in view, but with buttons on each conflicting line to select one or the other version.
|This extension is being used on one or more Wikimedia projects. This probably means that the extension is stable and works well enough to be used by such high-traffic websites. Look for this extension's name in Wikimedia's CommonSettings.php and InitialiseSettings.php configuration files to see where it's installed. A full list of the extensions installed on a particular wiki can be seen on the wiki's Special:Version page.|