Release status: beta
|Implementation||User interface, Special page|
|Description||Provides an interface for a VRE based on Semantic MediaWiki that allows researchers to carry out Qualitative Analysis of social interaction using Objective Hermeneutical methodology.|
|Author(s)||Lia Veja (LiaVejatalk)|
|Latest version||2.0.0 (2018-01-29)|
|Download||external zip file|
|Check usage and version matrix.|
The OHITool extension is an extension used in a Virtual Research Environment based on Semantic MediaWiki and allows reaserchers to carry out Qualitative Analysis of social interaction using Objective Hermeneutical methodology. The extension particularly has been tailored to be use for classroom interaction analysis.
Download the zip file and extract it to the folder of your MediaWiki installation, unter the folder extensions.
The OHITool can alo be downloaded from Github
Please edit the file LocalSettings.php and add the following line:
require_once( "$IP/extensions/OHI/OHI.php" );
The extension will be installed under the Section Other special pages of Special:SpecialPages, under the name Objective Hermeneutic Interpretor Tool.
- Download and place the file(s) in a directory called
- Add the following code at the bottom of your LocalSettings.php:
- Done – Navigate to Special:Version on your wiki to verify that the extension is successfully installed.
This is a brief introduction on how to use the OHITool. A more detailed guide will appear on this page in the near future.
Important. After the installation, in the extension folder, there is a folder OHI/resources/templates. An XML file contaning templates, forms and semantic properties could be automatically created using Special:Import procedure of MediaWiki. The import will also create a complete example of a transcript, in the main namespace, under the Neu_Ethik_Klasse6_Fremdsein_apaek02152 name.
In order to start a new transcript, please call special page Formular:Erhebungsmaterial_Metadaten, if your wiki is in German, otherwise call Form:Erhebungsmaterial_Metadaten (for English). After you collect the transcript data and save the formular, you should see the following interface:
An explanation for abbreviation used by tool is here (German version): Help.
You will find detailed instructions, written in German, on how to use the OHITool under the following links: Allgemeine Hinweise zum Arbeiten mit Semantic CorA Mit Semantic CorA arbeiten Ein neues Transkript erstellen
List of Templates and FormsEdit
- Erhebungsmaterial Metadaten
- Extension DPL
- Show Metadata
- Transkript kurz
- Zeige Metadata
- Erhebungsmaterial Metadaten
- Erhebungsmaterial Metadaten 2
About Objective Hermeneutic methodEdit
For an extensive information about Objective Hermeneutic method, please consult the following papers (in English):
- SMW based VRE for addressing multi-layered data analysis: The use case of classroom interaction interpretation
- Interfacing collaborative and multiple-layered spaces of interpretation in humanities research: The case of semantically-enhanced objective hermeneutics.
- Competence and Praxis: Sequential Analysis in German Sociology
In the following picture we present the ontology of classroom interaction:
Also, the researcher will follow the Objective Hermeneutic protocol, as in the picture:
You may also consult the presentation of the talk given at the OpenSym'17 conference in Galway, Ireland:
- SMW Based VRE for Addressing Multi-Layered Data Analysis – The Use Case of Classroom Interaction Interpretation.
- This tool is usually required in German space, due the fact that it was a genuine German idea. This is the reason that properties, templates
and interface is in German. For the next version, we plan to have an English version also.
- The Header Tabs extension is incompaticle with Tweeki skin. See: Incompatible extensions and skins. It would be recommendable to use Vector skin, or Cora skin instead.
- If you find a bug, please report it on the OHITool discussion page.
If you use our software, we would be really happy if you cite our work like this: Kminek, H., Meier, M., Hocker, J. Veja, L., Schindler, C, Sticht, K. (2018). OHTool: Extension for Objective Hermeneutics for Semantic MediaWiki (Software). Online available at: https://semantic-cora.org/index.php/Documentation/OHITool