Engineering Community Team meeting, 22 May 2012
Attending: Mark, Sumana, Guillaume, Chris?
List of projectsEdit
- Testing infrastructure/automation (incl Labs)
- Feature testing efforts
- Community testing planning
- 20% time wrangling
- 1.20 deployment
- Git and Gerrit migration
- Bugzilla application management
- Wikimedia blog maintenance
- Training documentation
- Monthly report
- Communications support
- Engineering activity documentation
- Hackathons/events (January SF, Pune, Berlin, Wikimania)
- Conferences in general
- Gerrit project owner groups
- Dev community metrics
Who's doing what (this week)Edit
Chris: Testing infrastructure/automation. Hiring. Feature testing efforts. Community testing planning. Mark: Deployment support, BZ application management, bug squad Guillaume: communications support, engineering project documentation, Wikimania, monthly report RobLa: Recruiting/hiring, 1.20 deployment Sumana: Volunteer recruiting and encouragement (including GSoC), hackathons and events/conferences in general, Gerrit project ownership, Developer access, 20% time wrangling Claudia: Dev community metrics
Chris: Ongoing labs followup and status reporting.
I'd really like to have a solid QA Engineer hire in the pipe before cranking full-on with automation efforts. In the meantime, the better Labs is the better the automation effort will be.
Labs Great improvements recently from Antoine, but TMH is still not fit to be tested.
It's in Antoine's hands now. He's rebuilding it in Puppet.... Chris is project managing this activity Watch the wikivideo mailing list.
- Chris to fwd to labs-l
Feature testing effortsEdit
TimedMediaHandler, Editor Engagement (AFTv5)-- identified a nice usability issue recently that will get addressed soon by Pau.
(AFT and hopefully EE also - PageTriage)
Community testing planningEdit
planning OpenHatch event - June 9th, Sat, 10am-noon Pacific Time
Ongoing. Several small announcements in place, planning major announcement May 28. Test Plan is essentially complete. https://blog.wikimedia.org/2012/05/22/collaborative-software-testing-you-can-help/
- will announce to Chris's blog, twitter, WTA, OpenHatch
(discussion of Teahouse - actually, Chris is suggesting that the testers create accounts, do 10 edits on their user/talk pages)
Chris to begin planning a 3rd community testing event possibly for July or August. I have a lead to follow up on next week, but not sure it will pan out.
20% time wranglingEdit
Sumana - concentrating on backlogged extensions + code review (including patches)
Is getting routine.
about 5 highest-priority bugs come in every 2 weeks? been rapidly addressed
- TODO: Mark to check on that # and whether it is trending up/steady/down
- TODO: Mark to add ChrisM to the list of people to alert with new highest-priority bugs
Git and Gerrit migrationEdit
Extension conversion backlog Sumana managing Danielle git office hour today
Bugzilla application managementEdit
Have a sponsor (in WMF!) for the Debian package for Bugzilla - Faidon (paravoid). Discussion on wikitech-l for improvment of bz workflow. Work this week on some basic template fixes that will bring small usablity improvements
Wikimedia blog maintenanceEdit
still on hold this week
Contractor working on ResourceLoader/Gadgets 2.0 docs, Git docs, security training docs, Lua stuff
getting started this week RMoen's status helper to be released today in beta, will help.
Guillaume following up on requests, blog post reviews, etc. getting more requests for review/help, which is taking time but GOOD
Engineering activity documentationEdit
- planning wikitech cleanup; found the gadget used by fr.wp WikiProjects to assess articles; started fiddling with it, but it's probably more time-efficient to ask the gadget's author for help. Target date: before the hackathon, so that the Ops team can use the tool during an Ops sprint if possible
Sumana continuing to work on bug wrangler hiring, contract help for tutorials
Chris working on QA engineer hiring. (QA reviews and interview.) Ongoing candidate review, looking forward to QA Volunteer Coord announcement.
- deprioritized last week
- Guillaume hoping to finally start 11 years presentation
- Sumana & Rob & Guillaume to take a start at transparency talk next week? (Berlin)
Hackathons/events (January SF, Berlin, Wikimania)Edit
Sumana working on Berlin travel sponsorships
Conferences in generalEdit
Sumana to start writing OSBridge keynote
Gerrit project owner groupsEdit
Sumana doing regularly
Sumana running developer access queue Sumana & Mark continuing to do this.
Mark finding personalized tasks for Bug Squad people
(BZ - Thehelpfulone)
- TODO: Mark to contact some BZ admins re privs
Sumana Kickoff! Need to do IRC HOWTO, argh
Sumana starting quick postmortem
Dev community metricsEdit
- Mark & Chris successfully talked to Claudia :) - setting up R<>BugzillaAPI connection - collecting information to Bugzilla Management (setting up the "wall") - analyzing the development of patch submissions over the last years
- Sumana: some offline time today
- Memorial Day is on Monday, May 28, 2012
- Berlin hackathon affecting your colleagues May 29-June 4th