This is the weekly update for the week starting 2016-07-11
- Mikhail completed a review of the language-identification A/B test (using TextCat). The full report is on Commons.
- Trey has more language-identification–related stuff: notes on how to introduce confidence to TextCat (comments and ideas especially welcome!), a re-review of the languages of poorly performing queries on English Wikipedia using our now-standard corpus creation process (TL; DR: quite similar to earlier results); and similar first-time reports for Portuguese and Russian Wikipedias, with Japanese and Indonesian in the pipeline.
- Trey and Jan collaborated on a new design of the TextCat demo
- Map's geoshapes service is now available in graphs: Interactive maps with regions
- Wikivoyage map customizations have moved into the extension code, now available on all WV languages. Customize it via MediaWiki:Kartographer.js and MediaWiki:Kartographer.css
- Conversation with the community continuing for new Wikipedia.org portal page layout with a new language by article count dropdown.
- Released findings and conclusions of the recent survey ran on the Wikipedia.org portal page - how did you arrive at Wikipedia - that also contains good feedback on the portal design page, the sister project links with descriptive text, search and usage on various platforms.
- Conversation with the community on handling search queries with question marks also continues
- this page has been translated into 5 additional languages
- Team conversations started about how to package portions of the wikipedia portal page to make it easier to re-use across all projects that want it.
- Team conversations started about how to automate stats updates on the wikipedia portal page
- Team discussing deploying the new TextCat language detection to wikis: en, it, fr, de, es with more language wikis to come in the future
- a cute picture of a cat and dog, just because