From https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Release_Engineering_Team/201415Q4 : Rethinking deployment tooling and process
- https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T89945 (MW process)
- https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T94620 Tooling
- https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T93428 services
- see: http://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/futureofdeployments
Goal of this group: To be the team that drives improvements and vision for all deployment tooling at WMF. Short term goals of 1) making the MediaWiki deployment process streamlined and 2) setting out a vision (and rough sketch plan) for turning our mismash of tooling currently in use into a coherent "this is obviously what I want to use to do $X" collection with all the implied removal and/or additions and/or integrations.
There are a lot of good tickets in the deployment-systems project https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/deployment-systems/
Node.JS service template: https://github.com/wikimedia/service-template-node
Definition of done: (Mostly?) Automated deployment without introducing opportunity for human error Verifiable deployment (did I deploy what I wanted to deploy) tested on staging
Goals for next week: High level overview of how scap works currently High level overview of how trebuchet works currently Trebuchet: https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Trebuchet/Design
April 6th edit
- We want to replace scap with Trebuchet
- Lots of talk
- Chad to talk to Ryan
- I did!
- Nobody's using it now, but likely to work on it again if we want it and very receptive to patches/ideas/etc.
- Proxy idea is doable
- Binaries still a little fuzzy. Git-annex?
- I did!