Content Translation version 2 has the goal of provide a more solid tool and make translation a great way to start contributing to Wikipedia for new editors. To facilitate tracking the impact of our efforts towards those goals, we've selected a small set of representative wikis.
Criteria for selectionEdit
- Significant number of newcomers. We want to focus on wikis that have a significant influx of new editors, since that would give a big enough userbase to check how well we serve their needs with the new version of Content Translation.
- Selection criteria: Monthly new active editors > 80.
- Good opportunities to create local content. We want potential content to be available for creation. There should be a content gap of millions of articles with the big wikis to be filled.
- Selection criteria: Content pages < 2,000,000.
- Focus on Wikipedia. Although translation can be useful in many projects, Content Translation is only available on Wikipedia where we want to focus before analysng the particularities of supporting other projects.
- Selection criteria: Project code = wikipedia
- Multilingual users and adoption of translation as a way to contribution. We want to target wikis with a good amount of multilingual users (especially when they can translate from wikis with many articles), and where translation is an accepted and frequent way to contribute.
- Selection criteria: Articles created with Content Translation > 7,000
- Knowledge about new editor challenges. The research on new editor experiences highlighted challenges of editors of mid-size wikipedias that we are considering for improving Content Translation. The selected wikis for the study seem relevant also to the present work.
- Selection criteria: Include Czech and Korean Wikipedias.
The list of target wikisEdit
The wiki segmentation spreadsheet has been used to filter wikis based on the above criteria, for multilingual information the Content Translation analytics have been used as a reference. The list of wikis is shown below:
|Code||Wiki||Monthly new active editors||2nd-month new editor retention||Content pages||CX translated pages|