Architecture Summit 2014/Service-oriented architecture
The main focus of the RFCs in the session is:
- to see if mediawiki core can be visioned as a set of independent components / services each of which provide clean, well-defined, narrow APIs
- provide a higher-level unified API interface for PHP code that can be used to make parallel requests to components / services without having to manually deal with issues like authentication
- Besides what has already happened (Swift for media storage, Parsoid for bidirectional wikitext parsing), what specific functionality provided by mediawiki core can be isolated into independent components?
- How does this kind of decomposition interact with mediawiki packaging and work for non-wikipedia installations?
- 5-20 minutes - various lightning talks about the different proposals on the table
- 40-60 minutes - discussion of big questions