Anti-Harassment Tools/Action Blocks
The work on Action Blocks has been completed by the Wikimedia Foundation's Anti-Harassment Tools team (AHT).
As we noted during the Partial Blocks project, sitewide blocks are not always the appropriate response to some situations. Defined blocks will stop unwanted edits and actions but retain constructive contributions simultaneously.
Action Blocks provide further block options to allow more granular blocking, as was requested after partial blocks were released.
The four block options being introduced are:
- Block from uploading files
- Block from creating pages
- Block from moving/renaming pages
- Block from sending thanks
The goal of this project is to continue giving administrators various tools to better respond to specific unwanted user actions while still encouraging constructive contributions.
This request was surfaced during our previous conversations with admins and checkusers when we worked on the Partial blocks project.
The AHT team is ready to pilot this feature on a few pilot wikis and receive feedback in order to further improve the feature.
What is changingEdit
We are extending the partial block menu by introducing specific block actions including the following:
- Uploading files: This action will block a user from being able to upload files directly to the wiki or through the API.
- Creating new pages: This action will block a user from being able to create new pages on the wiki. The user will also be blocked from uploading new files and importing pages from another wiki.
- Renaming pages: This action will block a user from being able to move or rename pages on the wiki.
- Sending thanks: This action will block a user from being able to send thanks to another user on the wiki.